You've Discovered Mold On Your Bath Toys (GASP). Now What?

It's the gross discovery that every parent dreads - moldy bath toys. But if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, don't panic - we've got you covered with today's Tub Tip.

First things first - is the mold on or in the toy? This is an important distinction. For mold on the outside or surface of toys, you can clean them with a simple solution of vinegar and water. Mix one gallon of water with ½ cup of white vinegar and then soak the toys for about an hour. Once the toys have soaked, scrub them to remove the mold and allow them to air dry. If the toys smell a little like vinegar, a quick rinse should take care of it. Follow the same steps for toys that open or come apart for easy cleaning. If you find mold, just take them apart, soak, scrub, and dry.

Toys that are not hermetically sealed or do not come apart (i.e. squirt toys) have a tendency to hold water if not fully emptied/drained. This is the ideal environment for mold to grow. A telltale sign that mold may be growing inside the toy is darkening or discoloration, especially areas of the toy that appear black. You may also see mold in the squirt toy’s hole. 

In this case, we highly recommend throwing away the toy. Out with the mold, in with the new! Send these toys packing and switch to some new, mold-free options for the tub.

Alright, that’s enough mold talk for today folks. Sending you clean, bubbly vibes for the rest of your day!